The mission of Cristina A. Velázquez, a passionate educator, scholar, and Latina advocate, is to accept the responsibility of selfless service to the students, staff, and the community of Desert Hot Springs, commit to promote the ideals of the democratic process, school spirit, and campus unity, and hold true to the values of servant leadership, integrity and diversity, by encouraging the involvement of students, staff, and community members in extracurricular activities, school-wide traditions, academics, athletics, and artistic recognition in order to better represent the student body.
Statement of Beliefs:
- Inspire leadership and group development in order for students to reach full capacity.
- Recommend and encourage without imposing ideas and preferences
- Communicate effectively between USB, staff, administrators, and community.
- To ensure teaching practices that empower students to take ownership of their education and help them realize that they are responsible for their learning outcomes.
- I will lead by example.
Statement of Beliefs:
- That diversity and bilingualism are assets.
- That every person is equally important.
- That honesty and trust are essential in any relationship.
- that better health is central to human happiness and well being.
- that family is central to one’s being.
- that education goes deeper than a degree; it truly is intelligence plus character.
- in shaping connections to a bigger purpose.
- in creating stronger, more meaningful relationships.
- in building each other to a higher capacity and contributing to the well being of others.
- in listening with the eyes, ears, and physical being.
- in one’s responsibility in giving back to their community.
- in using nature, art, and music to enrich the human mind and spirit.
- I will not succumb to old projects or to the status quo.
- I will not work alone, ever.
- I will not quit attending local and state workshops and conventions or advisor training sessions to learn more about my job as advisor.
- I will not surrender to disorganization.
- I will not ever let my enthusiasm falter.
- I will not let students forget their purpose for being in usb.
In my spare time I prefer surfing, practicing guitar, reading, and playing basketball. Traveling has recently become my addiction. This year, I was able to travel to many different countries but my favorites are Spain, Myanmar, Thailand, Indonesia, and of course MEXICO. For many years, I wasn’t able to travel because I was an undocumented immigrant. But through the grace of God, I was able to get on the path to US citizenship. Becoming a citizen changed my life. I was able to apply for grants and scholarships, receive my teaching credential, get a government job, buy a car, and countless other accomplishments. I am so grateful for what I have today; I can truly enjoy life and better myself through my educational goals.
Growing up in the Coachella Valley has really shaped me into who I am today! My experiences in student leadership inspired me to one day do the same in the valley I grew up in! I achieved my goal and now get to do what I LOVE -- LEADERSHIP/STUDENT BODY. Obtaining my Master’s and eventually Doctorate’s degrees are other important life goals. I will never forget the 1 bedroom my family of 5 and I lived in. My parents' income belonged below poverty line, however it didn’t hinder me from the pursuit of my studies. I came from the poorest of families, but was never deprived of love and hope. My mother always reminded me that the only way out was through education. She told me to make something of myself and never give up. Most can say I had everything riding against me yet, I used that to shape me into whom I am today. Through my personal experiences, I hope to meliorate students from all walks of life and teach that the pursuit of education will build a stronger tomorrow.